glitter

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Squishies

Since early intervention we have been aware that Mitchell responds very well to deep pressure. During an OT play group I was told by the therapist she has never met someone who is so responsive. A little massage of the shoulders or tight squeeze and a cranky boy turns into smiles and can continue his activity. This has always been plus for us/him knowing an easy calming method that can really be performed anywhere with little supplies.

Lately though Mitchell has been seeking out deep pressure, or squishies, as well call them a lot. Multiple times a day for the last few weeks he has been getting frustrated when an ipad game doesn't work his way or a Lego set falls apart.  It takes a few times of the same behavior for me to click what he needs to calm down.  I'll say "Mitchell do you want squishies?"  and he'll run to the couch or a bedroom and dive under the pillow.  I then take the pillows and wrap them around or cover him and put all my weight into it.  You would think I'd be smothering him but the heavier the better for Mitchell.  Think of it like a great massage after a hard day at work, how your body just melts and feels better.  That's what I imagine this is like for him,  you can see his face light up with satisfaction.

Yesterday he started grabbing my hand, prior to having a meltdown, and bringing me to a squishy place, diving under the pillows and pulling me on top of him.  What a great accomplishment this is for all of us!  Coping skills have always been a struggle for Mitchell and he is finally figuring out what he needs to stay calm before the freak out happens.  of course today one of us was practically sitting on him most of the day but it was working.

I keep wishing we could get a Temple Grandin squeeze machine and he would be all set to go out on his own.  She had one in college and functioned quite well.  If only it was that easy...baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment