glitter

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Body Parts

As long as I can remember Mitchell has never been able to point to a body part when asked.  He probably was able to point to his head or belly button before Autism took over at 15 months but I didn't note this accomplishment, looking back I should have.  This goal has been on his IEP for 3 1/2 yrs and I was just saying after we received the summer school report that it's still there and he probably won't ever be able to identify them and I wasn't all that concerned.  Imitating is not Mitchell's strong suit and we have bigger fish to fry, right? 

Well yesterday at therapy we had a break-through and Mitchell pointed to his eye, nose, stomach, ear when asked to.  Julie, his therapist and the director at By Your Side, was so excited that he finally responded to the prompts.  This is such great a milestone for him!  At home last night he repeated the feat with Steve and even wiggled his fingers by his ears when Steve did it.  This is just amazing to see.  I am tearing up as I write this because my little boy is simply doing something any typical 2 yr can do but he has struggled so hard with.  I can't wait for school to start and we can remove this from his IEP.  It's a good day for the Iveys!

1 comment: