glitter

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I am so tired, why not you?

It is 9:00pm Tuesday night and it seems like any regular night at our house except I can barely keep my eyes open an nausea is setting in as I settle the girls in for bed.  Steven is in the basement with a friend playing Xbox and Steve is on the couch watching Mitchell in amazement that he is still going strong after being awake for 18hrs.

At 2:30am Tuesday morning I hopped out of bed when I heard Mitchell open his bedroom door.  He ran quickly down the stairs, turned on the iPad and squinted and rubbed his eyes at the shocking brightness of the screen in the dark room.  When I spoke to him, he waved and settled into his seat.  I thought if I gave him some time he become tired again and return to bed.  He had only 4 hrs of sleep, he has to be tired.

An hour later I decided he was not going to bed on his own and thought I would try some melatonin in his juice.  Of course he was not thirsty so the juice sat there and we watched his favorite DVDs with soothing music, prancing zoo animals, nursery rhymes and giant stuffed animals dancing and singing. At 4:30am I brought him upstairs to bed only to have him leave the room 3x before I laid with him dealing with constant requests to scratch his toes.  The birds were starting to chirp and the sun was coming up and I thought if he did not fall asleep soon he was up for good.

I must have dozed off in between toe scratching and woke when he jabbered and jumped out of bed.  I was hoping we had both been asleep for hours and it was like 8am or something close, it was pretty bright outside.  Downstairs we go and the clock says 5:30am.  I could not believe it had only been 3 hours since we first woke up.  He asked me to play Mario Galaxy on wii but only Steven knows how so I explained we were not waking him up this early (good or bad mom?) and settled for more Muffin Man and No More Monkeys Jumping On The Bed.

Eventually 8:30am rolled around and it was time for him to go to camp, off we went bright eyed and bushy tailed.  Grandpa had brought donuts and STRONG coffee for breakfast and I contemplated napping or grocery shopping while he stayed with the other kids.  I was afraid if I laid down I might not get up so I shopped, showered, took Grace to kindergarten assessment, did some work on computer and then it was time to pick up Mitchell from camp.

After a full day of camp and 4 hours of therapy Mitchell does not show any signs of what I am feeling,  he just keeps going and going like a machine.  Ironically he had a great day at camp, and no adverse behaviors in therapy.  Maybe he was just moving slow and did not have the energy to disagree.  His vocabulary was outstanding today as well.  Apparently he just did not need the sleep last night, there is plenty of time for that later I guess.  Not sure when I get to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment