glitter

Monday, September 22, 2014

Where did that knife go?

While preparing dinner last night I placed a larger size steak knife on a plate of chicken on the table, then I covered the plate with a large wok cover to keep it warm.  Usually I keep everything at the cooktop and prepare plates before putting them on the table but last night Caroline had a friend over and I cooked more food than normal so I figured it would be easiest to bring everything to the table.

Everyone else was going about their business as I prepped dinner and kept an eye on Mitchell.  Of course this is usually the way it works around here.  As of late he has become interested in spinning any kind of lid he can find.  I saw him take the wok cover off the chicken and spin it then place it back on top.  I did not pay too much attention to what he was doing because he was not causing any trouble. He was in and out of the kitchen and then I called everyone to dinner.

When I went to place chicken on the individual plates I asked where the knife went?  The kids and Steve just looked at me as I looked around the kitchen.  Hmmmm.  It was a pretty big knife and now it is missing.  Crap, Mitchell was playing around at the table.  I checked the sink as Steve checked the family room, under the couch and the laundry room where I caught Mitchell trying to place the dryer lint trap in the slop sink.  He got out the flashlight and looked down the vent in case he had dropped it in there.  I thought he may have also gone to washroom after playing at table so maybe he flushed it?  Oh well.  Since it was not in view I figured we were pretty safe no one was going to get hurt with it so we all ate dinner and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

I had pretty much forgotten about the knife when it was getting close to bedtime.  As I went to pick up the laundry basket that was in the kitchen I flashed back to Mitchell touching things in the basket while I cooked.  Sure enough, wrapped in a pair of Grace pants was the knife safe and sound.  He is such a good kid.  The only thing I can think of is he saw it was sharp and put it somewhere safe.  Of course when we asked him before where the knife was he just kept repeating the question.  Such a silly boy.  He clearly knows more than he is letting on to.

No comments:

Post a Comment