glitter

Monday, June 11, 2012

It's Official


I feel comfortable enough with our situation to announce that we are finally diaper free in the Ivey house.   9 yrs, 6 months, 10 days and roughly $5000.00 later, we are no longer clogging up landfills with that particular waste. 

Grace took on the challenge when she was ready (3 yrs, 1 month, 8 days) and didn't look back.   Stickers were never an incentive for my other 3 kids but after Grace saw her friend Elle had a sticker potty chart she wanted one too. First try and she got a sticker.  Next try no sticker and no sticker again.  She did not give up though and started adding multiple stickers at a time to make her chart prettier (of course) then after a couple days got the hang of it and we didn't need the chart anymore.  I was determined not to buy pull-ups and we didn't need them.  She started waking up dry the night we let her sleep in underwear.  She does occasionally not make it to the potty for #2 but that is a very rare occurrence and usually when someone else isn't noticing the signs like mom does.

I never really had a dislike for diapers like some people do.  I liked knowing there wasn't going to be an accident on the way to Grandma's or at the store and when someone had a virus it was contained as well.   Vacations were the only time I really dread children in diapers.  Nevertheless this is a huge step for us.  For the last 1 1/2 months I have been walking by the diapers and swim diapers and giggling, shaking my head that we don't need to buy those anymore.

I told Steve we are now supporting the Hanes brand as opposed to Pampers, Huggies and Luvs.  I can't believe how much underwear we have in this house now.  And I had to buy Grace a new swimsuit because the bottom to the one she wore in Disney doesn't stay up with just her little butt in it. hee hee. 


Potty Chart at beginning


Potty Chart now

1 comment: