glitter

Friday, October 28, 2011

60 Minutes

I am just getting around to watching to 60 Minutes episode from last week. Anyone see it? It was about Steve Jobs andthn lead into iPads & Autism. Of course I imediately started crying. I found it so refreshing and happy in a way to see children like Mitchell. Usually whenever Autism is featured it about a child with Aspergers, high functioning Autism or severely severe Autism where the child is completely non functional. Mitchell falls somewhere in the middle. Site he dorsn't speak consistently but he does communicate and he knows exactly what he wants and h loves to be touch and to socialize but doesn't quite know how. Those are the people I saw on the program. An adult who just started using the iPad because before it was a game of charades to figure out his needs & wants. A 10 yr old boy who was considered low IQ and immature but once he had the iPad they learned how extensive his vocabulary was and he had a love for the opera. This makes me so hopeful and confident we are on the right path it Mitchell. We also were amazed Mitchell could write his name & read sight words without being taught to do so. It is all in there trying to get out. I often wonder why Mitchell is where he is on "the spectrum". Did we do something others did not do and that's why is seems smart or if we had tried something else could he be talking now? What if we had done this or that. It's so hard not to second guess every decision we make for him. But if I give myself time to process it I know we've made the right decision for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment